A large group of reactions where a piece of homologous (similar) DNA is used to edit another.
- Performed during meiosis to create offspring diversity.
- Performed during mitosis to create cellular diversity.
- Repairs several types of DNA damage.
- Used to incorporate foreign DNA (genetic transformation).
- Is induced by a wide variety of environmental stresses such as nutrient deprivation, high cell density, and a great many carcinogens.
- Is induced or shut off as a programmed cell function during differentiation, and development.